| | About a year ago, as part of my process for building the Time Management class, I received literally hundreds of emails in reply from folks whom I had asked about their time management challenges.And, by far and away, one of the biggest challenges I heard from people was that distractions and interruptions have the biggest impact on their time management.In light of that,I wanted to share with you this quick and simple activity you can do to help.Try this:
- Take a sheet of paper, and draw a line down the middle from top to bottom.
- At the top of the left-hand column, write “Distractions and Interruptions”.
- Above the right-hand column, write “Solutions”.
- Now, list out as many distractions and interruptions you can think of. Anything and everything that stands in the way of you doing what it is you want to do.
This is a play straight out of The Focus Course.What's important is that this gets you in the driver’s seat. It’s a way for you totake responsibility and to be proactive when it comes to those external distractions that get in the way of doing your focused work.While you probably won’t be able to implement a solution for every single distraction and interruption on your list, I bet you can solve many of them.
- Then, next to each one, list a possible way for how you can remove that distraction or interruption.
Showand TellHere are two very common distractions / interruptions that I face during my day, and what I've done to solve them.Interruption: Incomingtext messages and other push notifications on my phone and Mac during my focused work time in the morning.Solution: Put my iPhone and Mac into Do Not Disturb mode until lunch.Distraction: When I open my email to send a message, I get pulled into all the new emails that are in my inbox.Solution: Create a custom view in my email so that when I launch my email app, I'm presented with a blank window instead of my primary inbox.. . .What is a common distraction or interruption that you face? And what is something you have done or will do to help solve it?Hit reply and let me know. It'd be fun to share our ideas and solutions with other readers.