Top 10 Reasons Why I am Excited about May:
1. We are celebrating 10 of our Little Buddies graduating from high school; combined they have been matched with their Big Buddies for 90 years! Additionally, they have attended our Youth Camp in Moab 13 times, 4 have been Big Buddies in our Peer-to-Peer Program, they have attended 224 activities and 2 have participated in our Outdoor Leadership Course at their high school.
2. The Rockstar Bash for the Buddies on July 6 is 62 days away. Click here to purchase tickets!
3. We have awarded $24,000 to 16 Buddy Program youth participants to attend college next year.
4. We have received 50 applications for our Empowerment Scholarships- the youth who applied for these scholarships are eligible to receive up to $100 from the Buddy Program to support them in participating in a summer extracurricular activity of their choice!
5. The annual Kick Off to Summer Party on June 21 hosted by our Leadership Development Committee is 47 days away.
6. We have 2 orientation nights to get 47 youth and their parents to sign up for Youth Camp in Moab in June and Dream Day Camp in August through our Karen and Nathan Sandler LEAD (Leadership through Exploration Action and Discovery) Program.
7. Five of our staff will travel to Denver to present, connect and learn at the Colorado Mentoring Symposium.
8. We are finalizing plans to send 3 high school students abroad to Albania, China and Spain through a new partnership with the Student Diplomacy Corps. Thanks to a local donor, these youth will have this experience at no cost. Five more of our youth have received scholarships to participate at no cost in Colorado Outward Bound School experiences.
9. LEAD Outdoor Leadership students are headed out on their final trips. The Basalt High School class is headed to Moab for a multi-day trip that includes canyoneering and rafting, Carbondale Middle Schoolers have two days of rock climbing and hiking and Roaring Fork High School students have a trail work service project with Roaring Fork Outdoor Volunteers.
10. We wrap up our Peer-to-Peer Program in which we had over 90 matches (that's 180 kids!!) between high school and elementary or middle school youth between Aspen, Basalt and Roaring Fork High Schools. Plans are already in the works for the programming for next year.