| California State PTA Online Newsletter August 2017 |
| |Para leer este en español, haga clic aqui.
Help Your Student Succeed
It's back-to-school time! Read on for a few tips to make this school year the best yet for your child:
- Family engagement is the key to success – Decades of research proves that family engagement helps kids perform better in school and overall in their lives. Read with your child, help them with homework, stay connected with their teachers to help your child do their very best, ask questions about your child's day and ensure they are prepared and on time for school each day. And join your local PTA! Parent engagement impacts student success and well-being far more than parents' income, education or ZIP code.
- Be prepared for the school year – Give your student the best head-start they can get by being ready for the new school year when school begins. Connect with local organizations and resources to ensure your child has school supplies, new clothes and anything else they need, be sure to know when their school day begins and ends, connect with other parents in your area and keep yourself organized to make school mornings easier on your family.
- Engage with PTA – Join a local PTA at your child's school or start your own! Download and print the "Why PTA" flier – available in six languages – to learn why your school needs a PTA. Encourage other parents at your child's school to become more involved in their child's education by joining the PTA. Learn more here.
Believe in Our Children, Believe in PTA
Invest in student success and show children that education matters by joining PTA! Other great reasons to join are:
- Getting connected – There's no better way to know what's going on in schools and develop relationships with teachers and principals.
- Discovering great resources – PTA offers a wide variety of materials for parents, families, students, schools and communities.
- Enjoying extra benefits – PTA members have access to exclusive money-saving perks, including discounts on school supplies, rental cars, amusement parks and much more.
- Making a difference – Working together, PTA members help advance local, state and national laws and policies to make positive impacts on children and improve their health, education and well-being.
Anyone can join PTA, whether you're a parent, student, community member, business leader or educator. Join now!
PTA has free multilingual resources available to help you strengthen student success throughout the school year:
- 100 Ways to Help Your Child Succeed – These tips help you support children's learning at home, at school and even on the go, and are available in English and Spanish.
- Ways to Support Learning at Home – Created in partnership with the California Teachers Association, these fliers are available in 11 languages and offer great advice from educators.
- Homework Help – Support your child and help them with their homework, and learn why homework is important for kids to thrive. This flier is available in six languages.
- And more!
|Parents Go Back to School, Too |
While millions of children are going back to school this month, parents are too with the School Smarts Parent Engagement Program. School Smarts is free to parents, available statewide and comes in six languages. This award-winning program offers a seven-session parent academy that educates and empowers parents, plus each session includes instructional art activities that reinforce key lessons and reinforce the importance of art in education.
More than 2,300 parents graduated from School Smarts last year alone and you can be one of them! Learn more about bringing this program to your community.
Join the PTA Online Community
Want to stay up-to-date with the latest news in education, health, family engagement and community concerns affecting children, schools and communities? Join us online!
Parents, local PTAs, schools and others who care about children's education can exchange ideas, discuss hot topics, share best practices and stay current on all that's happening.
Follow California State PTA on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and be sure to use #PTA4Kids, #BelieveInOurChildren and #JoinPTA when posting or tweeting to help us spread the word.
Please keep in mind that it’s because of the dues of PTA members like you and the other thousands of parents, families, educators and community leaders throughout the state that we are able to continue to offer great resources and materials – thank you!